Illicit collection continues all through the night on Delhi streets

Illicit collection by Delhi Police not only goes on during the day but this continues all through the night as well. As part of a special campaign, R.N.I. team spent the night on the roads and found that personnel belonging to Transport Department police were busy collecting illicit money from truck drivers between two and four in the night seemingly unmindful of the chilling cold that prevails. It was brought to the knowledge of R.N.I. that this illicit collection continues unabated on the roads in Delhi and the special campaign to spend the night on road was carried forth due to this purpose.

The trucks going from Dhaula Kuan to Wellington Crescent had been stopped in such a manner that all traffic had come to a standstill. Police personnel were moving with alacrity from one truck to another, collecting money from each of the passing trucks. A novel method of collection had been employed. A police man was carrying a two liter steel utensil in hand. He lifted the utensil inside the truck and the drivers put money into it. This was perhaps being done to do away with the possibility of anybody taking photographs from a distance. Incidents have come to forefront in the past where journalists took photographs of policemen receiving money or keeping them in pocket from a distance and perhaps the ‘innovative’ method of using a utensil was initiated to avoid such happening once again. There is a possibility that this method has been adopted so as to facilitate counting and subsequent division of collected money. Similar illicit collection was found to be taking place on Ghaziabad-Delhi NH-8 as well.

This illicit collection by Delhi Police is nothing new. In spite of this, high officials of Delhi Government, the Lt. Governor or the Home Ministry are not seen doing anything. Only upon taking a promise that his name won’t be revealed, a taxi driver told R.N.I. that he had just started out of his home and was passing from close to Tihar Jail when few policemen stopped him and got into his taxi. They were taking an African convict to present him at the court. The taxi was held all through the long-hours of court proceedings and left only in the night, after the convict was dropped back to the jail. The taxi driver was not paid a single penny despite remaining on service for the entire day. There is little doubt that the policemen had got the reimbursement of the to and fro expense from the Government coffers.

Such incidents are repeated on the Delhi roads on daily basis but the taxi and auto drivers are afraid to complain. On the other hand, no campaign is being carried out by Delhi Government or Union Home Ministry as consequent of which such incidents are limited. This shows that the will to curb such activities is lacking in among senior officials.